BURN DCF 38L | 2300 CI
The FKT/Thru-Hike Record Setter
WEIGHT: 16oz | 403 gm
CAPACITY: 38L | 2300 CI
LOAD RANGE: 18 – 25 lb | 8 – 12 kg
The Burn CF is the DCF (Dyneema® Composite Fabric A.K.A. Cuben Fiber) twin of the Burn 38L | 2300 CI, Burn’s have been used by many FKT (fastest know time) record setting thru-hikers including three time Triple Crowner Lint Bunting.
Many small packs may look like the Burn. None have all the features, the awesome comfort and not the the design and construction detail. Wide and thick shoulder straps, padded hipbelt wings and multiple small details including over 50 bartacks set it apart from stripped down packs.
The Burn CF 38L is here to help you exceed your long distance and fast packing trail goals. Ultralight, strong, and optimized in every way to make you lighter and faster.
SIZE NOTE: MED and LG Burns have have wide 3″ shoulder straps and full size padded hip belt wings- 29″ minimum girth. Small Burns have 2.75″ straps and slightly smaller fully padded hip belt wings. 27″ minimum girth.
“Double thumbs up. Since 2010, I have owned two Burns. Each has at least 8,000 miles on it. I’ve yet to have any tears to the body of either pack.” – CAM HONAN
“The Burn really is an exceptionally well thought out, well made, bomber little pack. And as with all MLD products, the quality and attention to detail is second to none and a strong reminder why MLD is at the top of cottage manufactured ultralight gear. – UL Gear Blog
DCF (DYNEEMA® COMPOSITE FABRIC) FEATURES
• DCF Burn is seam taped inside for better water resistance. A tube of sealer is supplied to use on the outside seams, stitching and barracks to add to the durability and water resistance. NOTE: It is not a full dry bag and not submersible.
• Roll top design secures into the integrated side compression straps. This helps stabilize the load significantly vs only a single over the top strap.
• Over The Top adjustable Y strap secures and stabilize loads and provides a secure strapping system to attach items on top of the pack.
• DCF version is the same size and constructed as the DX 210D Ripstop version.
• DCF does not absorb water.
• Many internal DCF reinforcements are bonded to the body in high stress areas. Other areas are over-taped for even more strength.
DCF BURN DESIGN FEATURES
• Curved Side Panels: A slight curve from the waist to the shoulders move the load closer to the upper back for more comfort. This creates a slightly larger main compartment higher in the pack that aids load control and natural hip rotation by moving the heavier gear up to reduces shoulder stress.
• S-shaped unisex comfort shoulder straps are 3″ wide X 0.8″ thick. SuperWick mesh lined with full-length highest quality 1/2″ EVA foam padding. Our shoulder straps are thicker and wider than other lightweight packs. Full length daisy chain accepts Shoulder Strap Pouches and add durability and strength. See SPECS Tab for more info.
• Large padded lightweight DX 210D Ripstop hip-belt wings with 1″ webbing and an ultra lightweight buckle. Optional removable Hip Pockets can be attached. Hip belt wings are separate from the shoulder strap. Easy to cut off if no hipbelt desired.
• Large, slanted side pockets are deep enough for a 2L Platypus or a taller 1.5L SmartWater bottle. Top bungee sleeves are DX 210D Ripstop for long term durability cheaper style wrapped tops of uncovered elastic bands. Pocket adjusts by pulling the bungee closed through the cord lock. Double Bungee cord is 1/8″ thick 40 below rated. Many packs simply bind over the top of the raw mesh with regular garment type elastic that loses it’s stretch in a few years and does not do well in deep cold weather.
• Multiple bungee attachment web loops with 7mm glide rings for load compression and gear lashing.
• 10″ of black 1/8″ bungee cord. Can be used for strapping gear on the outside or adding compression to the pack body. (Not included in base pack weight)
• 2 mini cord clips and 3 cord locks (Not included in base pack weight)
• “Most Awesome Sternum Strap In The World” with Black Whistle-Lock Buckle 0.5 oz (Not included in base pack weight)
The Burn can be stripped down to about 12oz using only a pair of scissors.
1: Cut off the hip belt wings. -2oz
2: Cut off the side compression straps. -.5oz
3: Cut off extra length from webbing straps. -.5oz
4: Convert the over the top Y strap to a single strap.-.5oz
5: Cut off multiple small bungee straps points. -.25oz
6: Cut off extra buckles. -.25
See our video on timing down the Burn.