Backpacker Magazine: Best UL Pack
WEIGHT: 18 oz | 510 gm
CAPACITY: 55L | 3500 C|
LOAD RANGE: 20 – 25 lb | 9 – 12 kg
Lightest Strongest Full-Size + Full-Featured Frameless Pack Made. The unisex Exodus 55L | 3500 CI pack is the lightest full-size, full-featured, frameless pack made, which might explain why it won Backpacker Magazines Reader’s Choice Award for Best UltraLight Backpack! This professional-level frameless backpack was designed for serious lightweight backpackers. It’s a thru-hikers dream come true!
TWO FABRIC CHOICES:
• 2023 Ultra X 200/100 Gray. SUPER TOUGH. Fully Seam Taped Inside. The Very Best Pack Fabric Available.
• UltraGrid 200d RipStop. Black Beauty, Red Chili, or Avocado Colors. Works Hard. Good Price.
See Fabric Mojo info here to help make your choice.
“Tough, durable, nearly waterproof, and weighing only 18 ounces, the Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus 55L Pack is a backpack to behold. It’s my go-to whenever weight savings are critical, and I’ve used it to great success while guiding backcountry trips in Alaska (7 days food + guide’s gear), Colorado, and California (7 days food + bear canister).” – < a href="www.adventurealan.com/best-backpacking-backpack/" target="_blank">Adventure Alan
AWARD: Exodus Backpack #1
Top 10 Ultralight Backpacks
Modern SUL design, multiple cutting-edge details, quality UL hardware, and superb MLD craftsmanship have gone into this award-winning pack. All our seams are double or triple-stitched, and each pack has over 60 strategic strength bartacks. Every detail has been painstakingly thought out.
EXODUS VS PROPHET
The main pack bag and outside pockets are the same sizes. The Exodus has a 5″ taller extension collar. Everything else is the same. Exodus weighs about 1oz more. Exodus is offered in the M, L, and XL torso sizes only. Choose the Exodus if you are a larger person (think XL synthetic jacket or XL Quilt) or plan on using it often in colder temps below freezing at night where you need a bit of extra volume for low-weight but bulkier clothing or sleep gear. Over 6’2″ = Exodus. Over 200lbs = Exodus. Bulky Synthetic quilts + hooded jacket + insulated pants = Exodus.
• 2023 Ultra X version is fully seam taped inside for strength and water resistance. It is not a full dry bag. Stuff sacks or internal pack liners are recommended.
• Roll-top design secures into the integrated side compression straps. This stabilizes the load significantly more vs. only a single over-the-top strap.
• Over The Top adjustable Y strap secures and stabilizes loads and provides a secure strapping system to attach items on top of the pack- think foam pad, a bear can, etc.
• Curved Side Panels: A slight curve from the waist to the shoulders moves the load closer to the upper back for more comfort. This creates a slightly larger main compartment higher in the pack that aids load control and natural hip rotation by moving the heavier or bulkier gear up to reduce shoulder stress.
• Black S-shaped unisex comfort shoulder straps are fully padded 3″ wide X 0.8″ thick. SuperWick mesh lined with full-length highest quality 1/2″ EVA foam padding. Our shoulder straps are thicker and wider than other lightweight packs. Full-length daisy chain accepts Shoulder Strap Pouches and adds durability and strength. See SPECS Tab for more info.
• Side and Rear pockets are solid fabric with mesh drain corners.
• UltraGrid 210D Ripstop elastic top sleeves for durability. Bungee top sleeves are double-strand, cold-weather-rated bungee cords.
• Large padded lightweight DX 210D Black Ripstop hip-belt wings with 1″ webbing. Optional removable Hip Pockets can be attached. Hip belt wings are separate from the shoulder strap. Easy to cut off if desired.
• Large, slanted side pockets are deep enough for a 2L Platypus, two 1L SmartWater Bottles, or a 2L soda bottle.
• Top bungee sleeves are also Ultragrid 210d Black for long-term durability vs. cheaper style wrapped tops of uncovered elastic bands. The pocket adjusts by pulling the bungee closed through the cord lock. The double Bungee cord is 1/8″ thick and rated to 40 below rated. Many lower-priced (and higher-priced!) packs bind over the top of the raw mesh with a regular garment-type elastic that loses its stretch in a few years and does not do well in deep cold weather.
• 12 bungee cord loops if bungee cord lacking/compression is desired.
• Two lower loops for trekking pole and ice axe attachment.
• Removable Multi-position “Most Awesome Sternum Strap In The World” with Black Whistle-Lock Buckle 0.5 oz (not included in base pack weight.)
• Over 60 bartacks for strength.
• MEDIUM, LARGE, and EXTRA LARGE torso Exodus have wide 3″ shoulder straps and full-size padded hip belt wings – 30″ minimum hipbelt girth.
• Under 5’6″- Get a Small Prophet.
• Most Awesome Sternum Strap +.75 oz.
• 10″ of black 1/8″ bungee cord for optional bungee lacing/compressing/gear strapping +1 oz.
• 2 mini cord clips and 3 cord locks.
Jeff Borne –
The ultimate thru-hike pack! Comfortable for the long haul even when a bear canister is required.
Look no further – if you need a pack to carry a kit of 18lbs – 25lbs including consumables, it doesn’t get any better than the Exodus … period!
Howie Fitzgerald –
The hype is warranted…this is far and away the best backpack I’ve ever owned for short and longer three-season trips. I like to keep my bear can in the middle of the pack and layer a sleeping pad and shelter between the can and my back. It is very comfortable.
Samuel Hancock (verified owner) –
I love this backpack! One of my hiking buddies got one (he’s a freak about getting as lightweight equipment) and said it was a great backpack (and i needed a new one bad) so i saved some money and it was well worth it, I do suggest this backpack to anyone who is looking for a high quality lightweight alternative or even if you are just starting out with hiking/backpacking/etc. I wholeheartedly recommend this backpack. Thank You guys for making such high quality lightweight equipment!
Nina Jurczak (verified owner) –
In my humble opinion the best pack out there. Durable, high quality, perfect design and fit to the body, rides well. Neo Air Xlite folded up for a back support works perfectly. Fully packed out winter gear, food, water, fuel, at 24 lbs this thing feels amazing. Was very sceptical going with my first frameless pack with about a 12 lb base weight, but I couldn’t be happier, nor could this pack be perfected in anyway that I can think of. I spent a TON of time researching packs and couldn’t be happier with this MLD Exodus.
5’11 and the Large fits like a glove.
Mark (verified owner) –
Well designed, well made pack which is perfect for winter bivying in the UK where you might be carrying a bulky sleeping bag/quilt which needs the pack volume but doesn’t weigh too much. Just the features you need and nothing more. I’ve also used it for packrafting day trips – the pack rolls up and fits in a dry bag that you can put in the cargo fly on the boat, which means I don’t need to have anything strapped to the deck. Again it’s big enough to carry it all with ease. Although you do get funny looks wearing a wetsuit on the train home….
Frankie gilbert (verified owner) –
This pack is sweet. Very simply and strong. It has great abrasion resistance. Show no signs of wear after 2 years of medium to heavy use. I use it more than just to hike with. Fits everything I need and more. Hip pockets and gear pocket are nice and the water bottle holder is kind of overkill(ended putting it on another pack). Overall it’s nice and worth the money if your looking for a frameless pack.
Lakex (verified owner) –
Went from a 03 golite with no hip belt to this and it fits so well I hardly know it’s on. So well thought out I don’t know were remorse. I like how the exterior pockets have draw strings so stuff doesn’t slip out. Theres nothing about it I don’t like.
brentrice1 (verified owner) –
Such a comfortable pack. I’ve never paid much attention to how I pack it. I don’t use anything to “transfer the load.” I don’t need to. Keep your weight under 25 lbs and this thing is a dream.
My one complaint…the sizing. I’m 6’2″ and 220 lbs with a muscular chest and shoulders. I have a short torso and typically wear a medium framed pack (torso in the 19-20 inch pack measurement range). Went with the large and it seems like it fits goofy. I’d suggest anybody with a similar build go with the extra large.
(MLD NOTE: We think he means a Medium. Check out our torso fit guide and if needed, we can do a size return exchange no problem.)
Chase Ojala –
I bought this pack in 2013 and am still using it today in 2022. Just had to glue on a dynema x bottom sheet due to pin holes in the bottom but over all the pack is still solid. Probably won’t ever have to replace it.