BURN 38L | 2300 CI
The FKT/Thru-Hike Record Setter
WEIGHT: 16oz | 450 gm
CAPACITY: 38L | 2300 CI
LOAD LIMIT: 25lbs | 12kg
MED and LG Burns now have have wider 3″ straps and updated padded hip belt wings. 29″ minimum Girth.
Small Burns have 2.5″ straps and padded hip belt wings. 27″ minimum girth.
(Pictures show old Burn and will be updated soon.)
The Burn has been used by many FKT (fastest know time) record setting thru-hikers including three time Triple Crowner Lint Bunting.
Many small packs may look like the Burn. None have all the features, the awesome comfort and not the the design and construction detail. Wide and thick shoulder straps, padded hipbelt wings and multiple small details including over 50 bartacks set it apart from stripped down “spec” packs weighing only a few ounces less and others weighing even more.
The Burn 38L is here to help you exceed your long distance and fast packing trail goals. Ultralight, ultra-strong, and optimized in every way to make you lighter and faster.
“Double thumbs up. Since 2010, I have owned two Burns. Each has at least 8,000 miles on it. I’ve yet to have any tears to the body of either pack.” – CAM HONAN
“The Burn really is an exceptionally well thought out, well made, bomber little pack. And as with all MLD products, the quality and attention to detail is second to none and a strong reminder why MLD is at the top of cottage manufactured ultralight gear. -UL Gear Blog
• Roll top design secures into the integrated side compression straps. This helps stabilize the load significantly vs only a single over the top strap.
• Over The Top adjustable Y strap secures and stabilize loads and provides a secure strapping system to attach items on top of the pack.
• Single behind the neck hydration port. Internal hang loops for a water bladder. Bladder is optional.
• Stealth Gray or Wasabi green color!
• High Strength: Many internal barrack reinforcements. Over 50 total barracks on the pack.
NOTE: Optional pictured hip belt pockets and shoulder strap pockets are available in Stealth Grey only. The size Small Pack Lids fits the Burn.
BURN DESIGN FEATURES
• Curved Side Panels: A slight curve from the waist to the shoulders move the load closer to the upper back for more comfort. This creates a slightly larger main compartment higher in the pack that aids load control and natural hip rotation by moving the heavier gear up to reduces shoulder stress.
• S-shaped unisex comfort shoulder straps are 3″ wide X 0.8″ thick. SuperWick mesh lined with full-length highest quality 1/2″ EVA foam padding. Our shoulder straps are thicker and wider than other lightweight packs. Full length daisy chain accepts Shoulder Strap Pouches and add durability and strength. See SPECS Tab for more info.
• Hybrid Mesh/Dyneema X Side and Rear Pockets. Side pockets are all Dyneema X with a mesh drain corner. The lower 5″ of the mesh rear pocket is all Dyneema X with corner mesh drain areas. The tough Dyneema X strip prevents abrasion from sharp contents or butt sliding accidents. The open grid mesh is non-stretch and drains fast allowing contents to dry much quicker than tight mesh or solid fabric. Dyneema X elastic top sleeves for long term durability. Bungee top sleeves are double strand F -40 degree rated bungee cord.
• Large padded lightweight Dyneema X hip-belt wings with 1″ webbing and an ultra lightweight buckle. Optional removable Hip Pocket can be attached. Hip belt wings are separate from the shoulder strap. Easy to cut off if desired.
• Large, slanted side pockets are deep enough for a 2L Platypus or a taller 1L SmartWater bottle (pictured). Top bungee sleeves are also Dyneema X for long term durability vs. cheaper style wrapped tops of uncovered elastic bands. Pocket adjusts by pulling the bungee closed through the cord lock. Double Bungee cord is 1/8″ thick 40 below rated. Many lower priced (and higher priced!) packs simply bind over the top of the raw mesh with regular garment type elastic that loses it’s stretch in a few years and does not do well in deep cold weather.
• 12 bungee attachment web loops with 7 mm glide rings for multiple attachment points for load compression and gear lashing. A short loop of 3 mm line can be attached to the lower loops for trekking pole and ice ax attachment
• Removable Multi-position “Most Awesome Sternum Strap In The World” with Black Whistle-Lock Buckle 0.5 oz (not included in base pack weight)
• 10″ of black 1/8″ bungee cord
• 2 mini cord clips and 3 cord locks
The Burn can be stripped down to about 12oz using only a pair of scissors.
1: Cut off the hip belt wings. -2oz
2: Cut off the side compression straps. -.5oz
3: Cut off extra length from webbing straps. -.5oz
4: Convert the over the top Y strap to a single strap.-.5oz
5: Cut off multiple small bungee straps points. -.25oz
6: Cut off extra buckles. -.25
See our video on timing down the Burn.
If you would like a 1″ removable webbing hipbelt instead of the stock padded hipbelt wings, we can do that as custom non- returnable. Note for this CUSTOM option in the order comments.