BURN 38L | 2300 CI
The FKT/Thru-Hike Record Setter
WEIGHT: 16.5oz | 467gm
CAPACITY: 38L | 2300 CI
LOAD RANGE: 20 – 25 lb | 9 – 12 kg
The Classic SUL Small Frameless Pack, now in two fabric choices:
• Ecopak Ultra 200/400 in MLD Gray+Black. This pack is SUPER TOUGH and fully seam taped inside. The Very Best Available.
• MLD DX210d UHMWPE RipStop Wasabi Green OR Gray. Looks Great, Works Hard, Good Price.
See Fabric Mojo info here to help make your choice.
The Burn 38L is here to help you exceed your long distance and fast packing trail goals. Ultralight, ultra-strong, and optimized in every way to make you lighter and faster. Efficiency = Speed.
Many small packs may look like the Burn. None have all the features, the awesome comfort and for sure not the the many important design and construction details. Wide and thick s curved shoulder straps, padded hipbelt wings, superior load compression and stability , multiple lash points and over 50 heavy duty sewing bartacks set it apart from stripped down “spec” packs that weighing only a few ounces less.
“Double thumbs up. Since 2010, I have owned two Burns. Each has at least 8,000 miles on it. I’ve yet to have any tears to the body of either pack.” – CAM HONAN
The Burn has been used by many FKT (fastest know time) record setting thru-hikers including three time Triple Crowner Lint Bunting.
“The Burn really is an exceptionally well thought out, well made, bomber little pack. And as with all MLD products, the quality and attention to detail is second to none and a strong reminder why MLD is at the top of cottage manufactured ultralight gear. -UL Gear Blog
• Ecopak Ultra 200 Gray Front+Pockets+Sides. Ultra 400 Black back + Bottom
• Ultra version is fully seam taped inside for sternght and water resistance. It is not a full dry bag. Stuff sacks or internal pack liner recommended.
• Roll top design secures into the integrated side compression straps. This stabilizes the load significantly more vs only a single over the top strap.
• Over The Top adjustable Y strap secures and stabilize loads and provides a secure strapping system to attach items on top of the pack- Think foam pad, bear can, etc.
• Curved Side Panels: A slight curve from the waist to the shoulders moves the load closer to the upper back for more comfort. This creates a slightly larger main compartment higher in the pack that aids load control and natural hip rotation by moving the heavier or bulkier gear up to reduces shoulder stress.
• Black S-shaped unisex comfort shoulder straps are a full padded 3″ wide X 0.8″ thick. SuperWick mesh lined with full-length highest quality 1/2″ EVA foam padding. Our shoulder straps are thicker and wider than other lightweight packs. Full length daisy chain accepts Shoulder Strap Pouches and add durability and strength. See SPECS Tab for more info.
• Side and Rear pockets are solid fabric with mesh drain corners.
• DX 210D Ripstop elastic top sleeves for durability. Bungee top sleeves are double strand cold weather rated bungee cord.
• Large padded lightweight DX 210D Black Ripstop hip-belt wings with 1″ webbing. Optional removable Hip Pockets can be attached. Hip belt wings are separate from the shoulder strap. Easy to cut off if desired.
• Large, slanted side pockets are deep enough for a 2L Platypus, Two 1L SmartWater Bottles or a 2L soda bottle. 1L SmartWater bottle in pictures. Top bungee sleeves are also DX 210D Ripstop for long term durability vs. cheaper style wrapped tops of uncovered elastic bands. Pocket adjusts by pulling the bungee closed through the cord lock. Double Bungee cord is 1/8″ thick 40 below rated. Many lower priced (and higher priced!) packs simply bind over the top of the raw mesh with regular garment type elastic that loses it’s stretch in a few years and does not do well in deep cold weather.
• 12 bungee cord loops if bungee cord lacking/compression is desired.
• Two lower loops for trekking pole and ice ax attachment
• Removable Multi-position “Most Awesome Sternum Strap In The World” with Black Whistle-Lock Buckle 0.5 oz (not included in base pack weight)
• Over 60 bartacks for strength.
• MEDIUM and LARGE torso Burns have have wide 3″ shoulder straps and full size padded hip belt wings – 29″ minimum hipbelt girth.
• SMALL torso Burns have 2.75″ straps and slightly smaller fully padded hip belt wings. 27″ minimum hipbelt girth.
• 10″ of black 1/8″ bungee cord for optional bungee lacing/compressing/gear strapping
• 2 mini cord clips and 3 cord locks