At Mountain Laurel Designs, you don’t just become an employee, you become a part of a team of dedicated super ultra-light gear builders. All of our gear is proudly made in the U.S.A. to rigourous quality standards, and shipped around the world to outdoor enthusiasts everywhere. Come help us fuel the Super Ultra-light Gear Revolution!
SEWERS / OUTDOOR GEAR CRAFTSPERSONS
If you are good with your hands, a quick learner, and have great attention to detail, you may be well qualified to apply. No sewing experience is required!
- Ability to sit, stand and use your body/arms/hands to create great gear throughout the day.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet production goals.
- Can work without external distractions from personal screens or devices.
- Good at adjusting to changing production tasks and the different gear to be built.
- Hardworking and self-motivated; must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with accuracy and confidence.
- Communicate with other team members to voice problems and possible solutions with a positive attitude.
- Be a good team player with a positive attitude and add to the overall positive workplace experience.
- Those with previous work experience in a fast-paced production type environment tend to do well.
- HS Graduate or equivalent minimum education required.
Employees will learn to build, sew, and assemble the range of gear we design and sell.
- About 70% of the workday is spent sitting and sewing using industrial sewing machines like single and double-needle machines and bartacker machines.
- About 30% of the workday is spent standing and moving around to prepare, cut out, make reinforcements and assemble gear.
- Most items are made, from start to finish, by one person. We are not a sweatshop assembly line.
- Maintain a clean, efficient and safe workspace.
PAY + BENEFITS:
- Staring Pay at $15 per hour. (10-25% above competitors in our region and industry.)
- Summer and Winter cash bonuses are based on productivity and total time in the job. Bonus average ranges from 3% to 9% of base pay, but no set limit for outstanding production and contribution.
- Relocation financial and logistical assistance is possible.
- Paychecks every week.
- Health Care program for employees after 60 days with Dental Options.
- Paid training. No sewing experience is needed.
- 6 Paid Holidays per year.
- 2 Weeks Paid Vacation per year. Accrual begins 60 days after hiring.
- Average of 2 to 3 extra pop-up paid holidays per year. Let My People Go Surfing Days!
- After two year’s service, options for hiking and adventure sabbaticals.
- Discounts and free gear.
- Very safe work environment. Enough space for workers to spread out. All employees are fully vaccinated and boostered.
- Two paid 15 min breaks per day.
- 30 min lunch break.
- No Weekend Work.
- No Overtime is required.
- Flexible paid sick time policy.
- Shop Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 8:00 am-4:30 pm. + Fri. 8:00 am -4:00 pm.
ABOUT MOUNTAIN LAUREL DESIGNS:
Mountain Laurel Designs has a small and very diversified work staff and is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We are an EOE employer.
- MLD was founded in 2001/2002. We are one of the original small handful of Ultralight gear companies that started between 1998 and 2003.
- MLD was the first company to build DCF backpacks (and other DCF type outdoor gear) now built by hundreds of companies. We are the oldest company to offer DCF tarps and shelters. We help pioneer ultralight small pyramid-based shelter design.
- We can see about 30mi of the Appalachian Trail from our windows, including the famous Tinker Cliffs and MacAfee’s Knob.
- We operate out of a 17,000 sq/ft building very near downtown Roanoke. Easy commuting to almost everywhere in the city or county. Most workers’ commutes are under 10 minutes!
- Note that we are a smoke-free workplace. Any smoking odors can easily attach to the special fabrics we use. There is nowhere on our property to take smoke breaks. Only non-smokers need apply.
ABOUT ROANOKE, VA:
Roanoke is a great outdoor city right in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Roanoke in Virginia’s Blue Ridge is a winner of the Blue Ridge Outdoors Top Adventure Towns contest!
- The Appalachian Trail passes on one side and the Blue Ridge Parkway on the other.
- With an MSA size of over 325,000 people, it’s the perfect size to be large enough for a lot of great infrastructure while being small enough to avoid many bigger city problems.
- Hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails surround us. River to kayaks. Lakes to fish and swim.
- We have the only Silver Level mountain bike trail system on the East Coast. Nearby ski areas and unique outdoor areas all around.
- We are within a 4hr drive of many major cities and world-class climbing and adventure mountains options.
- Roanoke is in a geographical pocket with mountains on three sides that will limit and significantly delay many of the negative effects of global warming. The weather here is a pleasant four seasons without harsh highs or lows. Significant weather events are rare to none—serious wildfire potential is near zero. Earthquake potential to cause any damage is near zero.
- As an outdoor city with ever-expanding greenways, Roanoke keeps getting better and better!
- Cost of living in Roanoke is moderate.
HOW TO APPLY
Look through our website to see the type and range of gear we build. Then, fillout and submit the form below OR send a full work resume that includes all dates of work and a short letter of introduction about yourself and why you may want to join our team to: email@example.com.