2020 SOLOMID XL | 4.5′ X 9.2′
Often Copied, Never Surpassed.
WEIGHT: 14-16 oz | 396-453 gm
PEAK HEIGHT: 55″ / 140cm
SQ FOOTAGE: 44+ sq/ft | 4 sq/m
SLEEPS: + GEAR
The SoloMid XL is as strong, fast to setup, and capable in high winds and moderate snow as the SoloMid, with some truly XL features. It’s a bit larger, and it’s asymmetrical shape, offers 70% of the user space behind the one center pole, while the front 30% functions as a vestibule. This offset design allows entry and exit in rainy conditions to help keep the sleep side of the shelter dry!
Single pole pyramid shelters like the SoloMid XL offer the fastest set up of any lightweight shelter design and because they don’t have any large vertical side panels (like other two-poled designs) they don’t buzz, hum, flap and roar in the wind. The SoloMid XL is a bomber shelter with 17 tie-out points! Available in SilPolyester and .75 DCF (Dyneema® Composite Fabric A.K.A. Cuben Fiber).
“Alison and I recently shared a Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid XL on a 350 mile bike-packing trip where we were really trying save on space (a SilPoly Solomid XL takes up insanely little space).” – ADVENTURE ALAN
Read our “Options” tabs to learn more about all the great options that can be added to this ultra-tough shelter!
• At 44+ sq ft | 4m, it’s big enough to fit an X-Long 78″ X 28″ Pad !
• Large Peak Vent is held open by a flexible and removable wire. Can be folded closed to stop blowing snow or rain from entering.
• Great for moderate snow loads and strong wind from any direction
• SILPOLY VERSION: Strong and fully waterproof with triple stitched seams.3,500+mm waterproofness
• DCF (DYNEEMA® COMPOSITE FABRIC A.K.A. Cuben Fiber) VERSION: All bonded main seams
• #8 YKK Aqua Guard Zipper.
• Interior Apex Hang Loop + Exterior Apex tie-out loop
• Reinforced Peak: Tough DX 210D RipStop in SilPoly Version. Thick + multiple layers of bonded DCF in the DCF Version
• Both doors roll open.
• 8 ground level perimeter tie-outs with LineLocks. LineLocks make winter use with buried snow anchors MUCH easier. Can be removed to save about 0.8 oz
• 1 tieouts on each of the 4 main seams.
• 3 center panels tie-outs: Rear and Both Side Panels. Use the supplied bungee cord on these tie-outs to reduce stress on the shelter. NOTE: Only tighten very SLIGHTLY so the main bottom edge tie-outs take most of the force – do not use to pull the panel out and change the shape of the mid. Always stake out this point last.
• Overhead gear hang loops on all four main seams to clip up bivy hoods, lights, InnerNets, or to make a clothesline.
• Works perfectly with all 140 cm adjustable poles. Free 6″ pole jack included for shorter poles.
• Stuff Sack
• 40′ MLD Pro Guyline
• 1.5 oz Tube McNett Silnet Seam Sealer
• 6″ Pole Jack