TGO Magazine “Best Shelter” Award Winner
WEIGHT: 12 – 18 oz | 340 – 510 gm
SQ FOOTAGE: 65 + sq ft | 6 + sq m
SLEEPS: + GEAR
The award winning TrailStar combines the high performance of a traditional pyramid shelter with the open multi-function pitching options of a tarp. This original shaped tarp has five equal low-angle sides, no doors, and no zippers, flaps or vents to wear out or fail you when you need them most.
The TrailStar comfortably sleeps 2 – 3 people but can accommodate 4 in a pinch! If purchased with the optional InnerNet – it can be used as a double walled tent, or as a tarp. This tarp can also be set up as a shelter for day hikers and ski groups for lunch stops and emergencies, with room for five to eight people to sit inside!
Five equal size panels blend shelter protection with tarp pitching ease and multiple shape options. One or two sides of the TrailStar can be staked tight to the ground while the other sides are set higher, using longer guylines, to make it a wedge shape. This allows you to block the wind from one or more directions while still getting great views from the others. For really harsh wind, all ten stake points can be used for an incredibly stable, low, wind shedding, bombproof shelter. Pitched all the way low it should be able to handle 60 mph winds! The TrailStar can be pitched really high, a la “Walk in Cabana” using a long stick or two trek poles lashed together and longer guylines. Read the “Tent Set Up” tab for more pitching options!
• Fast Setup – No Doors, Zippers or Moving Parts
• BOMBER alpine wind protection when compared with a tarp.
• Five equal size panels blend shelter protection with tarp pitching ease and multiple shape options
• The 7′ | 2.1 m long baseline on each of the five equal sides create a very large pentagon shaped floor plan living space for up to three people plus
• Gear and up to five in a short storm huddle
• Pitches with one standard or short length adjustable trekking pole in the center. A found stick works great too
• 65+ sq/ft | 6+ sq/m of usable floor space
•10 perimeter tie-outs, all with LineLocks – One at each primary corner and one centered on each side at the edge. Linelocks can be removed to save 1.2 oz
• Can be pitched tight to the ground for maximum full sided protection or higher for views, easy entry and great ventilation. Most of the time one side or corner will be pitched off the ground as a door, and the center height will be about 45 – 50.”
• Awesome shelter for hikers with dogs
• Roof angle is moderate for great wind shedding and light snow loads.
• Gear hang loops mid position on each of the five seams to rig hang lines or clips up bivy hoods
• Roof Apex is reinforced and has an outside guyline loop and inside has a gear hang loop
• Only five straight seams to seam seal
• 40″ | 102 cm Guyline
• Pro SilNylon Stuff Sack
• SilNet Seam Sealer