MLD PRO RAIN PONCHO
Exclusive Poncho HoodSlit System ™
WEIGHT: 7 – 12 oz | 198 – 340 gm
An MLD exclusive, the Pro Rain Poncho is the only poncho/tarp available with a catenary ridgeline, generous tapered sizing, and our Poncho HoodSlit System ™.
MLD DCF Poncho was used by Joe “Stringbean” McConaughy on his incredible Appalachian Trail FKT record. https://www.outsideonline.com/2238411/how-set-speed-record
With the Poncho HoodSlit System ™, an MLD Invention (patent pending), the hood is set into the ridgeline, sealing shut quickly in ‘tarp mode’ when the ridgeline is under tension without the need to tie-up and stake out the hood to prevent water pooling like a common ‘circle-in-the-middle’ hood style poncho. Requiring over 60 manufacturing steps to produce, the MLD HoodSlit is the strongest hood design possible.
The catenary cut (curved) ridgeline offers a fast and tight set up in ‘tarp mode.” The ridgeline curve is just enough for a nice A-frame pitch but not so curved that other Lean-To type pitches can’t be achieved. This design offers tight pitching with less fuss, better wind resistance, water shedding, and far less possibility of stakes pulling out or insomnia-inducing wind flap.
The overall shape tapers from front to rear for good coverage in both ‘tarp mode’ and ‘poncho mode.’ At 62 in | 1.6 m wide, the Pro Rain Poncho is the widest front-width poncho tarp made, to allow for full coverage in ‘tarp mode.’ In ‘poncho mode,’ the wide end is in the rear, to wrap around the pack, while in ‘tarp mode’ the wide end is over the chest and head for more rain and wind protection.
See the BACKPACKING LIGHT review of our 2004 prototype Pro Rain Poncho. Our current model offers many small improvements and hardware upgrades that drop the weight and improve performance. Even back then, the review placed the MLD Pro Rain Poncho at the top of the pack, and our minor tweaks and adjustments have only made it better!
• EXCLUSIVE: Hood features a stiffened brim and volume adjustment for a tight fit, drastically reduced mind numbing wind flap when worn
• Hood is off-set forward for full pack coverage, and the wide end is in the rear for wrap around pack coverage in poncho mode
• EXCLUSIVE: Catenary cut (curved) ridgeline for a fast and tight set up in tarp mode.
• EXCLUSIVE: Foot end ridgeline tie-out positioned 20″ | 51 cm from each end for various pitch options in the 20d Pro Silnylon- OD Green, Gray , Citrus OrangeSil version. DCF (Dyneema® Composite Fabric A.K.A. Cuben Fiber) version does not have the tie out because DCF does not stretch and can not be put in the pictured semi closed foot shape.
• Front and rear ridgeline tie-outs includes a CF tarp pole tip grommet
• Front ridgeline tie-out easy to identify: It has the MLD Logo label integrated as a tie out reinforcement
• Overhead hang loop on the inside ridgeline for bivy, watch, glasses and bug bivy hanging
• Waist bungee cord + Cordlock
• SilNylon Stuff Sack
• MLD Pro Guyline
For coverage interpolation the Pro Rain Poncho Tarp is pictured on a rugged 6’1″ model wearing a small pack.