Handlebar Harness + Carbon Fiber Mount Bar and Clamps
WEIGHT: 7 oz | 198.45 gm
The MLD Border Handlebar Harness system is a simple, strong, and lightweight dual-clamp style handlebar harness built to hold all sizes of single and double-ended drybags, like our Ultra X Handlebar Double End Dry Bags and Ultra Bike Drybags. (BAGS SOLD SEPERATE) This dual clamp style harness provides more stability vs. foam spacers, has better clearance and cable protection and allows for better hand positions near the stem.
Handlebar Harness Features:
• Ultralight and Tough Ultra X 200 UHMWPE fabric.
• Internal carbon fiber wands on top and bottom edges for stability.
• Multiple strap locations on the daisy chain to Velcro to the carbon fiber tube.
• 3” X 10” Bungee Cord Top Lash Deck. Attach rain jacket, tent pole bag, mini tripod, etc.
• Three 10mm Triglides for attaching accessories.
• Large Secure Full Rectangle Deck Wrap Face 10”X12”.
Clamp and CF Tube Features:
• Roll-wrapped Hi Modulus CF tube. 10” wide X 22mm OD. Wider than generic 8” DYI clamp tubes.
• 10.5mm wide clamps – 35% wider than generic DYI clamps.
• Stainless Steel Screws and oversize SS hinge pin.
• 4” clamp overall length.
• 2” space between harness and handlebars for hand positions, inboard bar ends, aero bar fit space, etc.
• Fits 31.8mm and smaller handlebars. Size reduction spacers are included. 31.8 mm is the most common bar size for Gravel, Adventure, Fat, and MTB bikes currently being used for bikepacking. Uses 3mm SS Screws; extra 3mm screws and lock nuts are included.
NOTE FOR CARBON FIBER BARS
We recommend using Carbon Fiber Clamp Paste, the same as you would for installing a carbon fiber seat post. Position the clamps as close to the stem as possible, as that area is the strongest on CF handlebars. Any damage or scratches to handlebars is not warranted. We do not recommend use with Ultralight racing, CF road, time trial, and non-circular-shaped bars.
The individual system parts are super strong and can handle heavy loads. Most bike packers use a handlebar harness for a tent, sleep system, or similar gear weighing under 10 lbs / 5kg. We rate this clamp system for 7 kg / 14 lbs to prevent any significant clamping damage to your handlebars and to keep your bike under control and handling safely.
If you plan on strapping heavy water loads or large pack rafts to the system, you may use a second set of clamps (4 total) on an aluminum or steel handlebar to double the weight limit at your own steering risk; you may be better off using a lighter handlebar load in conjunction with lower front and/or rear panniers to improve bike handling vs. overloading the harness system on the bike’s front end.