SPIRIT QUILT 38 °
WEIGHT: 15 oz – 21 oz | 425 gm – 595 gm
LOW TEMP RATING: 25 to 38 F | -4 to 3 C
JUNE 10, 2019 NEW: #5 YKK Tooth Foot Box Zipper – No More Velco.
Locking Pull Tab! Stays put at whatever height you want.
Same Weight, More Function.
XLG + LG = 36″ Zip
S + M = 30″ Zip
Pics Coming Soon.
A Black outside and Yellow inside we call the Bee Hive Color Scheme! The black outside is quick to dry in the sun and the yellow inside is happy happy. Green outside is also great.
Yellow Inside Best Choice!!!
1: Bright and Cheery.
2: Can see bugs, dirt and stuff on the Yellow easy.
3: Signal if lost.
MLD has been building ClimaShield Apex synthetic backcountry style quilts longer than any other company. This is where it all started, the original. Our design goal with the Spirit Quilt was to build the warmest for the weight, fully feature enhanced, multi-purpose synthetic quilt possible. And, by the Spirit Quilt’s wild success, we’re happy to say we succeeded in that goal. National Geographic Adventurer of the Year, Andrew Skurka, even choose an MLD Spirit Quilt 28 ° for his incredible Alaska-Yukon 4700 Expedition.
“There was a time when I thought hikers that used synthetic hiking gear had no clue what they were really doing. I was so wrong. Everything about what I have learned and experienced using the Mountain Laurel Designs ‘Spirit’ 28° Quilt, has just further confirmed to me that the decision I made last year to make the switch was a brilliant decision.” – Thru Hiker & Trail Builder John Alba | HikeLighter.com
Many users of the Spirit Quilt use it on top of a 2-3 season mummy bag, for full winter temps. Doing so helps keep a down inner bag dry. In below-freezing temps, insensible perspiration from your body or wet clothing cools as it moves through the sleep system. Some of that perspiration condenses back to liquid water near the colder outer surface. Using a synthetic quilt over a down inner bag, holds more of that moisture in the faster drying synthetic layer, so the down bag stays dry and the synthetic quilt dries fast and retains most of it’s insulation when wet.
The Spirit Quilt 38 °, is a true Ultra Lightweight Specialists tool; if you are new to backcountry sleep quilt systems and their use, please read the entire product description and specs before adding to cart.
• Large foot box for more comfort vs other light weight quilts and bags. Allows the use of insulated socks, booties or other clothing in the foot box with out compression formed cold spots.
• Can be used over ALL other bags to boost temp ratings because the foot and leg circumference can be adjusted – unlike a fixed foot box quilt.
• Hammock Under Quilt Use Ready : Corner webbing loops for use as a hammock under quilt.
• Foot box and lower leg area is larger than many other lightweight quilts. Body mapped shape offers warmer torso area and less bunching at the neck.
• Anchored no-fumble cord locks at each end.
• Removable dual sided adjustable back strap. Back strap has a long webbing to secure under a sleep pad. Sleep pad elastic clip on connection system supplied to make it easy to clip the quilt on and off of a sleep pad if desired.
• Quilt can be reversed to use inside out if one side gets wet.
• Head and Foot elastic cord sleeves.
• Foot box vent plug for the Spirit 28 and 38 – Prevents heat loss through the tiny gap after cinching the foot box closed.
• We recommend Black or Olive Green color for speed drying
Available in small, medium, large, x-large, and custom sizes. See “Specs” tab for dimensions. Color(s): Black, Olive Green, Citrus Orange (See “Quilt Options” tab for color recommendations.)
The optional poncho head slot adds more versatility, allowing the quilt to be worn around camp, as an emergency torso layer, or as the only insulation layer in warmer conditions.
SPIRIT QUILT 38 ° TEMPERATURE GUIDE
We hesitate to offer exact temperature comfort ranges, as there are so many variables. The following temperature ranges assume users understand standard UL clothing, shelter, campsite selection, and UL quilt sleeping strategies. With multiple years of testing and extensive customer feedback from many many users – we feel these ratings are a good general guide to your comfort level.
NIGHT TEMPS OF 38 F | 3 C: Long sleeve shirt, long pants, socks, light balaclava
NIGHT TEMPS OF 32 F | 0 C: Lightly insulated clothes, 4.0 oz MLD APEX Balaclava, bivy or enclosed shelter
NIGHT TEMPS OF 25 F | -4 C: More insulated clothes, mo-better balaclava, real nice socks, and the SuperLight Bivy or enclosed shelter
Check out our APEX Balaclava, it pairs perfectly with our quilts!