The Lightest Fully Waterproof Gaiters Made.
WEIGHT: 1.6 – 1.8 oz | 45 – 51 gm
Our Superlight Gaiters are designed for hikers and trail runners needing ultra-lightweight, above ankle protection from trail debris, rain, and snow.
Switching to a lighter gaiter may be the least expensive and biggest weight & energy savings you can make in your kit. Saving weight on the lower legs and feet is critical. Foot (shoe, sock, pants, gaiter) weight must be lifted up and moved forward on every step. Weight in the backpack mainly moves forward – less up and down when walking compared to the foot. Moving an ounce ‘on the foot’ takes the same overall energy as moving 5 oz ‘in the pack.’ (Think, running shoe vs. boot.) Most short gaiters weigh 4 to 8 oz. MLD gaiters save you the equivalent of 10 oz – 2 lbs in your pack!
Thanks to the excellent venting of the eVENT fabric, the Superlight Gaiter also adds a bit of warmth in cooler temperatures without getting your feet too hot and sweaty. eVENT is the most breathable waterproof fabric made with over 50% more vapor transmission than even Goretex XCR.
NOTE: These style gaiters require you put them on before you put on your shoes. Then, simply slide the bottom bungee cord under the shoe instep and then cinch the top bungee snug. Adjust the under foot bungee and tie a stopper knot to secure it at the proper length for your shoes and the set up is complete. Replace the under foot bungee cord as needed.
5 STAR REVIEW
• 1/8″ bungee cord under foot instep if needed, user installed – uncut length included
• Bottom edge has a hidden elastic sleeve that automatically stretches over the shoe to make for a tight fit
• Anchored one-hand-use bungee drawcord top
• A few inches taller than other ‘shortee’ style gaiters for better protection in light snow and wet tall grass and brush
• No heavy zippers, Velcro, or buckles to fail or clog with snow or dirt
• Toe shoelace anchor clip is tough plastic and clips on tightly – No small metal hooks to rust or slip-off
• Pack Small- pictured above (in the hand) are a pair of large sized gaiters
• Tough enough for many seasons of use and should last most users one full thru-hike